[AccessD] program update & capitalization of fields

Heenan, Lambert Lambert.Heenan at chartisinsurance.com
Thu Jan 7 07:42:17 CST 2010

Re 1/

This does seem to be a nice new bug in Access 2007. In previous versions the use of ">" in the format property of a field does what you expect: the text is *displayed* as all caps in the table, forms, queries, and report, though the actual data stored is still whatever happens to be typed. I just tested this in Access 2002 to be sure.

It seems that the code meisters in Redmond have dropped a ball win v 2007.

However, it is easy enough to work around this. If you want to actually store the data as all caps then (assuming you are using a bound form) you could just add a line of code to the LostFocus and/or Exit events of the text box where the data is entered:

txtSomeTextBox = Ucase(txtSomeTextBox)

Alternatively, base your report on a query which does the same thing when the query is run...

Select Ucase(SomeField) as MyTextFiled...

Regarding 2/

It sounds like the process needs the record to be saved before continuing. So instead of leaving the record and returning to it, just put this line at the start of the sub that runs when the button is clicked...

Me.Dirty = False

That line results in the data being saved.

Lambert