[AccessD] SPAM-LOW: Re: Question 2...returning to a form

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Jan 12 08:07:26 CST 2010

Darren,

 > You can then still reference the items on the calling form (Even if it's invisible)

True.

In general I do not like referencing controls on forms.  Doing so ties me to a specific form, with a
specific control name, and a specific form name.  If any of that changes or goes away the program
breaks.

I developed a generic solution using ... (you guessed it) a class which can be used "standalone" in
the called form.  This class reads out any OpenArgs passed in to the form, and processes them,
placing them into a collection for ready use.

By passing in openargs I can open the form without any calling form (for troubleshooting), I can
open the form from a function which passes in variables, or even open the form from several
different forms.

In order to implement my system I use the fairly standard

MyVarName1=MyVarValue1;MyVarName2=MyVarValue2;Etc;Etc;

Now my class splits out the "variables", and places MyVarValueX into a collection keyed on
MyVarNameX.  Then the opening form can just ask the class for the variable named MyVarName1 and back
comes the passed in value MyVarVal1 etc.

To see (and even use) my class, go to

http://www.databaseadvisors.com/downloads.asp

Second from the top.