[AccessD] Access 2007 Attachments

Jurgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 20 17:21:23 CDT 2010

A database I've built includes photos of employees, contacts and equipment and I have a number of reports that include training certificates that include trainee photos.

The file system has a structure that mirrors the table structure with a folder for any record that contains files.

Given the following 3 tables as an example:  tblContact, tblEquipment, tblEmployee, each has an autonumber primary key.  The database path is determined from the connect string.  Below the path taken from the connect string, there is a Files folder.  Beneath that folder is a Mid$(strTableName, 3) folder, hence

...\database path\Files\Employee\

...\database path\Files\Contact\

...\database path\Files\Equipment\

Beneath that, there is a folder bearing the primary key number for every record that has files.  For tblEmployee record 342, the folder is:

...\database path\Files\Employee\342\

Should there be a need, you can add folders beneath that level for field level filing of documents.

The Employee form has an unbound image control 'imgPhoto'.  When the application navigates to the record, it checks to see if a file named Portrait.jpg exists at the target path and if so, it sets the picture property of the image control and then makes it visible.

            If Len(Dir("...\database path\Files\Employee\" & Me.ContactID & "\Portrait.jpg")) Then
                .imgPhoto.Picture = "...\database path\Files\Employee\" & Me.ContactID & "\Portrait.jpg"
                .imgPhoto.Visible = True
            Else
                .imgPhoto.Visible = False
            End If

I use the same approach for certificate reports.  This is very fast in execution and simple to implement.  There are a few functions I use to build the path via calls to mkDir.  To open the folder so created, I use a wrapper to the shellexecute Win API call and pass it the path and it opens the folder to drop in the photos or any other type of related file.

Ciao Jürgen Welz Edmonton, Alberta jwelz at hotmail.com