[AccessD] Date standardization

Steve Schapel steve at datamanagementsolutions.biz
Wed Jun 16 15:59:19 CDT 2010

Gustav,

I don't understand this.  How is this a "classic issue"?

To me, the classic issue is that imported dates will always be correct.

I am in a non-US country, and manage dates accordingly.  In the immediate
window...
? Date
17/06/2010

I can set the Format of date fields in the table design (normally I would
not, there is no reason to, but I could) to dd-mmm-yy.  I can set the Format
property of all date controls to something similar.  I can send that
database to someone in the US, and they can import that into their database,
and the dates will be displayed in *their* chosen date format, and the dates
will be correct.  If I had entered 3/05/2010, in their US system it will
show as 5/03/2010.  They don't need to "know which format the dates were
originally created in".  In fact, as you know, from a data point of view,
there is no such thing as the "format the dates were originally created in".

Of course, I am assuming we are talking Access BE to Access BE here.
Importing date data from text files or spreadsheets or other database types
has complications that have to be overcome, and sometimes takes a bit of
careful thought.  But it sounded like Doug's scenario was Access.

Regards
Steve