[AccessD] Observations on AC 2007 (not good)

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Thu Nov 25 14:53:20 CST 2010

Hi Mark,

1. Forget Access, switch to .NET (VS2008 / VS2010) :) (conversion
VS2003->2005->2008->2010 worked smoothly for rather large projects here).

2. I have been working with MS Access since v.1.0 in quite some advanced
projects and I have got through conversions of small and large projects both
my own and legacy ones from

Access 1.0(1.1)->2.0->(95 skipped)->97->2000->AccessXP->2003->2007

It was always a PITA to make conversions (sometimes event RPITA :)) but it
was always doable.
Of course when one gets a legacy MS Access app and tries to fix it and in
the same time to support MS Access 2003 and MS Access 2007 versions of the
same legacy app that would be an RPITA^3 but if

- one is a masochist (I have been like that I must admit, I do hope I did
overcome this disease) and
- client has money to pay for "masochistic exercises" then there is no
reasons to complain about MS Access inadequacies :)

A kind of kidding of course, just wanted to share my experience with MS
Access apps support and conversion - all depends on time and money - if your
client doesn't have money - explain them that there is no miracles in this
world and escape them if they will not understand you - they will never find
solution for their problems whatever great MS Access developers they will
find...

Thank you.

--
Shamil