[AccessD] OT Friday Experience: Rocket Science and submarines

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sat Sep 4 04:23:30 CDT 2010

Then of course there is The Register's PARIS (Paper Aircraft Released Into Space)  effort.
Also planned to reach 30Km.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/science/paris/

The PARIS mission includes two main components: the main payload and the Vulture 1
aircraft.
The main payload is a styrofoambox containing video and stills cameras, GPS tracker unit,
back-up beacon transmitter and the all-important Vulture 1 release mechanism.
Vulture 1 - an all-paper aircraft - sits under the main payload, and both are lifted by a helium-
filled meteorological balloon. At 20,000 metres, Vulture 1 is released to fly to earth, tracked
by an onboard GPS radio system. The plane also carries a miniature stills camera to record
its journey.
The main payload continues to ascend to around 30,000 metres, at which point the balloon
bursts and the box descends by parachute.
Two tracking teams will follow and recover the main payload and Vulture 1. The main
payload GPS transmits its location over the phone network. If that fails, there's a back-up
beacon transmiting in morse.
Vulture 1's position is plotted live online via the OpenAPRS system. The main payload also
offers live positional updates via a dedicated Google map.