[AccessD] I need help

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Apr 6 08:25:45 CDT 2011

In NC where I live, volunteers can check certain inmates out of prison for up to 6 hours for
activities like church, AA meetings or pretty much anything legal.

I have the required certification to do this and I am writing an application to assist volunteers
such as myself in filling out leave pass requests for prison inmates.

There is a web search site that anyone can use to search for and observe the information about
inmates.  I am inserting the URL complete with a random inmate selected.  Watch for word wrap.

http://webapps6.doc.state.nc.us/opi/viewoffender.do?method=view&offenderID=0012345&searchOffenderId=0012345&listurl=pagelistoffendersearchresults&listpage=1

What I need assistance with is reading the info at the very top of the Offender Info in order to
extract this and automatically fill in a record in Access.  IOW I search for and find an inmate,
then I press a button and suck the info in that top area into a record.  This will save a fair
amount of typing.

The problem is I have no idea how to do this.  If I view the HTML I find an XML table that holds
this stuff but how do I drill down to that area reliably, then extract the info?  Preferably without
doing it i some code intensive string manipulation way.

I already have two other volunteers requesting my program, which I will be making available for free
to any volunteers who do checkouts.  I am trying to make this as user friendly as possible.

Any help is much appreciated.