[AccessD] First Encounter With a Memo Field

Robert Stewart rls at WeBeDb.com
Tue Aug 30 07:34:57 CDT 2011

Brad,

This has nothing to do with Access and everything to do with Outlook.

You will need to read all of the messages into an Access table, then
you can do the searches you are trying to do.  You are probably not
going to be able to do it through automation.

At 07:14 AM 8/30/2011, you wrote:
>Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 20:33:13 -0400
>From: William Benson <vbacreations at gmail.com>
>To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
>         <accessd at databaseadvisors.com>
>Subject: Re: [AccessD] First Encounter With a Memo Field
>
>How about reading all of them into a single string or a disconnected
>recordset with some marker for the messageidID... and search that result
>On Aug 29, 2011 8:28 PM, "Brad Marks" <BradM at blackforestltd.com> wrote:
> > In my work with Access so far, I have never had to deal with a Memo
> > field.
> >
> > Recently a need has surfaced to work (in Access 2007) with an Outlook
> > Email field called "Contents" which is a Memo field.
> >
> > I need to search through approximately 30,000 Emails for specific
> > strings in this Memo field.
> >
> > From my initial tests, it appears that the InStr Function does not work
> > with this Memo field.
> >
> > Is there a way to find a specific string in a Memo field?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brad

Robert L. Stewart
www.WeBeDb.com