[AccessD] Connect to SQL Server views

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Jan 26 14:58:20 CST 2011

I have a strange something happening and I don't know why

 From my client workstation, when I connect to (try to link tables to) PSServer (SQL Server) I can
pretty much only see a small set of views.  I discovered that in order for my new views to be seen I
had to set a DISCO user and a public Role for my new views, at which point I could see them from my
workstation.

When I try the same thing from the server that holds all of the Access database files, I can not see
those same set of views but I can see a single tab which says tables, and it looks like I am only
seeing tables in that tab.

Once I link the view from my workstation I can see the view's contents from my workstation.

When I move back to the server I cannot see the view, I get an error that the view is not a valid
object or some such.

I have to fix up the connect string and then it works just fine.

Good:ODBC;Description=PS;DRIVER=SQL Server;SERVER=PSSERVER;APP=Microsoft®
Access;WSID=DISABILITYINS43;DATABASE=Millennium;Trusted_Connection=Yes

Bad:ODBC;Description=PS Server;DRIVER=SQL Server;SERVER=PSSERVER;APP=Microsoft®
Access;WSID=DISABILITYINS89;Trusted_Connection=Yes

I just replace the connect string I labeled Bad with the one I labeled good and (from the server) I
can see the view data.

And finally, if all that ain't strange enough, I can see the data from my workstation AND DiscoSvr
with the original connect string.