[AccessD] Exporting Access to Excel - How to "SUM" a column with a variable number of rows?

William Benson (VBACreations.Com) vbacreations at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 13:50:36 CDT 2011

Brad,
Excel is VERY powerful, and VERY fast. So whenever possible, use what Excel
already has, when automating. To sum all the values in a column in Excel,
assuming you have hooks to the xl application object and a worksheet:

Function TestFunction ()
Dim xl As Excel.Application

Set xl = GetXL
With GetXL
	MsgBox .Sum(.ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Columns(1))
End With

End TestFunction

Function GetXL() As Excel.Application
On Error Resume Next
  Set GetXL = GetObject(, "Excel.Application")
  If GetXL Is Nothing Then
    Set GetXL = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
    GetXL.Visible = True
  End If
exit_me:
End Function