[AccessD] Access classes are soooo difficult - was Re: Refreshing open forms when something changes

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Jun 22 17:41:55 CDT 2011

 >> I have followed JC's threads and implemented them, but it is a lot of work, in several different
modules.

OMG it probably took me three minutes to set up.

Writing the entire clsMsg took a few minutes. You have to admit it is a trivial class.

I have reused that class for 10 years.

Writing the module to hold the global pointer took... oh... about 3 minutes.  I have reused that
module for about 10 years.

Calling the message class from the city subform took another 30 seconds.  Setting up a form to sink
the class took about another minute.  So my time spent in this specific project was about 2 minutes
and 30 seconds.

You are indeed getting old if that is too much work.

;)

Why is it that I am able to easily use them but you aren't?  I am not particularly skilled, or
particularly knowledgeable.

The reality is you don't like the solution so you make up all kind of reasons why not to use
classes.  But they are just your reasons.  You appear to throw away a very powerful tool because you
are mad at Microsoft for not giving your inheritance.

Classes work.  They do exactly what they claim to do in VBA, encapsulate data and code and sink and
source events. They are just dead simple to create and use.

You like checking if forms are open and calling specific controls on specific forms from the source
event.  You said that is your preferred solution, and anyone who wants to do that is certainly
welcomed to do so.  I truly don't care Stuart.  I used to do that myself before I discovered how
trivial it is to raise and sink events.  Now I don't do that anymore.  I haven't twiddled controls
in other forms for 10 years and it makes no sense to me to do so but if you like that, knock
yourself out.

You are of course welcome to jump in the thread and let us know how you are pissed at Microsoft and
so refuse to have anything to do with classes.  But the solution works, and works at least as well
as checking whether forms are open, and if so then directly twiddling controls in those forms.

I understand, and I support you in your not using classes.  They are not for everyone as several
people have vociferously asserted.

:)