[AccessD] Access and SQL Server

Heenan, Lambert Lambert.Heenan at chartisinsurance.com
Thu Mar 3 10:58:40 CST 2011

"  However it can be made into a surrogate PK by assigning it to the object it's associated with, or in other words, making it an attribute.
"Surrogate" means "to take the place of" and an auto number when it's just applied to a table cannot do that because it has no meaning.  It's a pointer or tag in a physical context and that's it.  Yes it is unique, but I can go in and change it at will."

No you cannot just go in and change it at will. You also have to go find all the records in all the tables that use that Autonumber value as the foreign key back to the table they are relate to. So that's why I don't make an Autonumber PK any kind of meaningful attribute for a record.

Real data used to construct Natural PKs can change too, and then it gets messy.

Lambert's 2 cents.