[AccessD] Access and SQL Server

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Thu Mar 3 12:40:33 CST 2011

Lambert,

<<No you cannot just go in and change it at will. You also have to go find
all the records in all the tables that use that Autonumber value as the
foreign key back to the table they are relate to.>>

  Sorry if that wasn't obvious, but yes certainly you would.  However I
could do that at any time.

  Once it's turned into an attribute though, it takes on meaning.  You still
could at that point change it, but not without changing something else.
It's no longer a matter of simply updating the data.

  For example, an asset tag number, which has been applied to all assets.
New admin comes in and now wants all the numbers to be 4 digits instead of
the current 8.

  I can't simply go into the data and decrease the digits without going to
every asset and re-labeling it.

Jim.