[AccessD] [Spam]8.31 Re: 2 quick questions

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Fri May 27 11:09:02 CDT 2011

With all due respect, I suggest that you read some Codd and Date on this
topic.As for the complexities involved in use of IKs, it is brain-dead easy.

But that said, I am not a big fan of IKs. Like most of us on this forum, I
tend to favour AutoNumber out of force of habit rather than rational
analysis. I have read numerous things by Joe Celko and Chis Date which
refute the use of AutoNumber|Idnentity Keys, and I accept them halfway. I
don't give a fork from which a given tire was hatched, unless and until
several of these instances have caused highway fatalities. Therefore, I need
build this (batch) into the design, so that I can report to all owners of
said tires a warning that there are potential issues.

This is going to be extremely problematic to solve with the AutoNumber
scenario. An intelligent key could make the query dramatically simpler.

That's all I'm saying. I typically use AutoNumbers in almost every app I
write, but the more crucial and life-threatening the app, the more likely I
shall use IKs.

A.