[AccessD] Autoremoval of SQL Server Express 2005 when uninstalling Business Contact Manager for Outlook

William Benson vbacreations at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 12:34:52 CST 2011

A minor beef, I wonder if others have shared this experience.

When uninstalling Outlook Business Contact Manager 2007, the uninstaller
also removed SQL Server 2005 Express.

I have no way to know when that item had been installed, but it looks to
have been permanently removed by the uninstaller, sure enough.

Any thoughts on why Microsoft would do that? I thought SQL Server Express
was a free Sql Server engine?

I imagine there are places I can download it from again, but why would
Microsoft put me through this hassle I wonder, just because I was taking
some other softwars off my machine?

I recognize that *maybe* had I selected Custom and made choices to keep
certain items and remove only certain items, I might have had the option to
retain SQL Server 2005 Express, however my feeling on this is that there is
no way I would have no reason to presuppose (and didn't) I was removing an
unrelated product during a removal of Business Contact Manager for Outlook.