[AccessD] OT - Database for dot net project

David McAfee davidmcafee at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 13:24:26 CST 2011

You could always load SSCE (SQL Server Compact Edition) for
testing/learning.

As it is actually designed for compact devices (iPAQs/Phones) , it only
allows one connection, but it is much less complicated than installing and
dealing with full version SQL Server. It also doesn't suck the life out of
your computer if you have an older/slower computer.

You can think of it as installing JET and the SDF as an MDB (with no
support for forms).

You can you ClickOnce for deployment and even create a bootstrapper to
check if SQL Server (or SSCE) is installed, if not it will install it for
you.

As for an actual program that you have to distribute, you can use an mdb if
you prefer.
You don't need the Access runtime unless you are planning on using Access
as the FE.
A .Net app can connect to the mdb back end without the runtime (although
you WILL need Jet installed, but that shouldn't be an issue).

HTH,
David