[AccessD] New SQL Server license scheme is RADICALLLY more expensive

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 10:11:10 CST 2011

I started using MySQL several years back, and have since then co-authored
several editions of our book on MySQL (Get It Done with MySQL, co-author
being Peter Brawley, who frequents our sister site DBA-Hardware and
Software Issues). When Oracle bought MySQL I got a little scared, but so
far my fears are unjustified. That said, I feel a debt of gratitude to
Monty and for that reason have also installed MariaDb, which is a fork off
MySQL. Incidentally, for those inclined to trivia, Monty names his products
after his daughters.

The hardest thing for newcomers to MySQL and MariaDb is the wealth of
configuration options. With MS-SQL you can pretty much load and go; and you
can with MySQL and MariaDb too, but when performance is the crucial
measure, then you have to open the hood and tweak the fuel-injection
system, as it were.

<Shameless plug>
For anyone thinking of taking the plunge, you can visit
www.artfulsoftware.com, which hosts our book and provides several chapters
for free download, plus all the source code. In addition to discussing
MySQL, we also address communicating with it from PHP, Access, .NET and
other languages.
</shameless plug>

Arthur