[AccessD] New SQL Server license scheme is RADICALLLY moreexpensive

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 15 12:29:58 CST 2011

Hi Shamil:

Gone are the days when everything was minis and mainframes and FORTRAN was
king. FORTRAN was the first major language I learned but I have not used it
too much lately.

Microsoft has held the PC market for at least 10 years of the last 20 but I
think we are in a period of transition and the market is spreading out
again. If the patent wars do not seriously slow progress, we are on the
verge of some very exciting times...similar to the 80s and early 90s.

Open source and open standards is where I believe the market is going. You
and I may be more familiar with Microsoft's stable of products but
developing a decent product in any environment is not easy but it is now no
more difficult, than under Linux, it is just different and it all takes
considerable time to learn, regardless of the way you go. In the end, I
believe, you can be equally as productive.

Windows is the only major OS out there that does not have a Linux/Unix core.

Linux is the environment of innovation. Virtually, every new product and
concept in the computing world has first been created on Linux. Companies
like Microsoft, Apple, Oracle, Google etc have been robbing the Linux garden
for years and then have been running out and trying to patent it before
someone else does or the product developers stamp a GNU and MIT license on
it.

Unlike Arthur, I will still be using some Microsoft products, as the
customers demand it. OTOH, the market is moving away from Desktop type
application and more towards Browser type environments...PCs, Smart phones,
tablets and so on. In the future, proprietary PC applications are not going
to be as important and that will leave Microsoft out of the loop, unless
they make major changes in their corporate philosophy.

This means, regardless of the effort required, the New Age IT professional
is going to have to move more into the Linux world. That, as far as I can
see, is a fact, that we all have to come to terms with. Therefore, whether
we retire from the computer industry, develop products in a niche market or
embrace the new order it does not matter.

I believe it is a wonderful time to be in the computer world with so many
options...and yes, that does not necessarily mean Microsoft.

Jim