[AccessD] New SQL Server license scheme is RADICALLLY moreexpensive

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Tue Nov 15 13:42:41 CST 2011

HI Jim --

>  we are on the verge of some very exciting times...similar to the 80s and early 90s.
Yes. I'd even say they promise to be even more exciting...

Yes, I know that "gone are the days when everything was minis..." - I have just mentioned them to note how huge is the software development productivity growth using nowadays development tools comparing to "good old days..."

Still "mythical man-month phenomena" is very actual these days and even becoming more and more actual IMO - and that is Microsoft who is leading/is one of the leaders of the world mass and corporate market of software development productivity tools and programming languages *innovation* nowadays IMO...

As for Microsoft business model - everybody knows they often were "missing mainstream uprising technologies" but there were no *any*(?) case in their corporate history they weren't able to "catch the leaving train" and to become a bandwagon - do you believe they will miss it this time?...

Let's keep "adults talk"  here? :)  - I'm asking just one concrete question:

- please give me real figures for real life project(s) when Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) of using MS development tools and applications platforms e.g. C#/.NET 4.0 + MS SQL is higher than TCO of using mySQL + ...(?).... provided development teams using that tools on both sides have comparable experience in developing business applications...

> I believe it is a wonderful time to be in the computer
>  world with so many options...and yes, that does not
> necessarily mean Microsoft.
Yes, but I'm not questioning that.

OK?

Thank you.

-- Shamil

P.S. And no, I'm not working for Microsoft :) And I'm not MVP.