[AccessD] Access 2007 Reports vs SQL Server Reporting Services

Darren - Active Billing darren at activebilling.com.au
Tue Nov 15 20:49:00 CST 2011

Hey Brad.
We use RepServices here at the office (SQL2005 Back ends)
Generally speaking - it's a pretty good tool, though there are display
issues on the browser display of final reports if you are not using IE
(Something to do with frames inside frames)
A real PITA
Anyway back to the designer - If I tell the design tool (Vis Studio)  I want
a new DataSource I get 7 'types' out of the box.
This includes SQL Server (Of course) and an OLE DB option , ODBC, XML and
ORACLE (These are out of the box nothing else installed)
We only ever connect our reports sitting over SQL but I'm sure you could do
more with it, from that point of view, than we are -
Also the learning curve is bugger all if you already know VB and VBA syntax.
Good Luck

Darren