[AccessD] time to retire ?

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 10:17:43 CST 2011

IMO, this piece is targeted at IT people, not developers or database
people. Fundamentally different set of skills, and as writers like to
say, orthogonal. I'm not saying that some knowledge of this stuff is
superfluous, but the IT people have their job and developers have their
job, and only in small business is it required to wear both hats. Even in
SMBs (Small to Medium-Sized Businesses, defined as total revenue more than
$50M and less than $250M per year), these are separate career paths. Mom
'n' Pop outfits are way beneath this radar, IMO. How many M-n-P ops need
SharePoint even, much less the other stuff. IMO almost all can get by with
SQL Express (free), and have no need to upgrade. Speaking of which, I've
been looking at Office365 and at first blush, this looks like a pretty cool
option for me, as well as M'n'P ops. At about $6 or $7 a seat/month, it
sounds just right, and eliminates all the pricey license fees.

Just my IMHO,
A.