[AccessD] time to retire ?

Darryl Collins darryl at whittleconsulting.com.au
Mon Nov 21 19:08:39 CST 2011

Yep, that is pretty much how it works. You can download a trial version which free and is good for 30 days - the trial version includes 10 licenses, after 30 days you get an email asking if you want to continue the service.  If you do then you only pay for as many licenses as you want / need.  You can add more or less over time and they just adjust your monthly bill.

There was a bit of stuffing around getting the site setup and operational initially (at least for Australia).  You need to have a registered business with ABN (sort of a business ID number and an existing website)  Your requirements may differ as you are in a different part of the world.

I needed to play around with DNS settings on with our existing ISP setup page - and also do some manual configs to Lync and the outlook desktop client to make it work.  Most of this stuff I found out via Google and the online help forums.  Once you know where to look it is all fairly painless - of course I say this now with 20/20 hindsight ;)

That said, you don't need to use an outlook desktop client if you don't want, you can do it all in the browser if you want.  The exchange side of things is seriously good.  Having the ability to instantly update all the members of your team and share calendars painlessly is a huge jump for a lot of these folks.

It is ideal for small working teams of people.  One business I set this up for is 7 people and they often work remotely.  Having the ability to share calendars, use the 'presence' detection and Lync to meet up and share tools and desktops has been really useful for them.  Much better than trying to get one of them to assist the other one over the phone alone.

Cheers
Darryl.