[AccessD] Clearing the decks for MySQL

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Fri Nov 25 08:51:45 CST 2011

Mark,

MySQL is released under the GPL v2. Oracle purchased Suns assets with this understanding (and likewise, Sun purchased MySQL AB knowingly accepting the terms of the license), so Oracle couldn't lock up the code even if they wanted to. There are things they can do, like provide proprietary extensions and they could even just remove download links to the source code (or kill the project altogether), but it is fully within the rights of anyone to fork the code and do with it whatever they want legally. Fortunately, Oracle seems to be somewhat accepting of their situation for the time being.

- Hans