[AccessD] Tab delimited text file

Heenan, Lambert Lambert.Heenan at chartisinsurance.com
Thu Oct 27 15:49:55 CDT 2011

One small bug fix and the addition of the ability to include the field names...

Function ExportTab(RSName As String, FileName As String, Optional boolIncludeFieldNames As Boolean = True) As Boolean
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
Dim ff As Long
Dim x As Long
Dim strtemp As String
    On Error GoTo errtrap
    ff = FreeFile
    Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(RSName)
    Open FileName For Output As #ff
    If boolIncludeFieldNames Then
        For x = 0 To rs.Fields.Count - 1
            strtemp = strtemp & rs.Fields(x).Name
            If x < rs.Fields.Count - 1 Then
                strtemp = strtemp & vbTab
            End If

        Next x
        Print #ff, strtemp
    End If
    While Not rs.EOF
        strtemp = rs(0)
        For x = 1 To rs.Fields.Count - 1
            strtemp = strtemp & vbTab & rs(x)
        Next
        strtemp = strtemp    ' & vbCrLf = don't need this. Print #ff implies a CRLF at the end
        Print #ff, strtemp
        rs.MoveNext
    Wend
    Close #ff
    rs.Close
    Set rs = Nothing
    ExportTab = True
    Exit Function
errtrap:
    MsgBox "Error: " & Err.Description & " in Function ExportTab()"
End Function

Lambert