[AccessD] User interface

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Sep 4 13:47:03 CDT 2011

I like the Windows Small phone design. It is a lot cleaner that I would have
suspected. I am also am very familiar with the Windows so I would hardly be
a person to be predisposed to make an objective or negative opinion.

OTOH, design and layout of an application is as important as the design and
development of the code. The average user just does not care what is
under-the-hood. Pretty is always most important...think no further than our
obsession with models.

Most of my work is with web sites and there are always very basic
rules...like everything must read from top-left to bottom-right. (European
standard) Most sites work with the two or three-column design...all have
headers and footers. After that, there are many more abstract and fresh
layouts.

When surfing, everyone knows when they have landed on a corporate or a geek
or a store or an application site. It is all about the layout.

Companies like MS, Apple, Google and even Linux have spent as much money on
their product UI designs as on the coding. In the Linux world there are two
schools of design, the Gnome (apple like) and KDE (windows like) interfaces.
In recent years a great deal of study has gone into just how people
logically (intuitively) think.

The Apple type layouts assume people think in specific logical patterns and
clutter just confuses. Less is best. Single forms but more effort is placed
on transitions, showing depth and graphics.

Windows type layouts have everything of an application shown...if there are
50 choices there are 50 buttons. There are no transitions as a feature is
either off or on, there are no rounded curves and there are no shadows.
Everything runs from a single desktop.

It is so personal as to which interface is more intuitional but the current
trends are towards the "Apple/Gnome" like interfaces...of course that trend
or fashion could change.

For me, it is what ever the user wants. Right now Gnome UI is running two to
one, in popularity and finally the new Windows phone interface is very lean,
similar but different (more block layout) to the Gnome uncluttered
interface.

Jim