[AccessD] SSDs and BE storage

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Sep 22 21:51:26 CDT 2011

The truth be known Ken I pretty much agree with the general assessment of SSDs.  It is an immature
technology, which you do have to study and plan for.  It is not a drop in replacement for rotating
media.  It needs special handling.  Like any other technology it has a bathtub curve wherein you are
going to have failures in the first 90 days, and if you get past that point...

And if you are in a position where you can afford SLC I highly recommend that.  SSD is definitely a
technology where the die shrink works for density but against reliability.  OTOH it works against
DRAM as well, yet I don't hear you railing against that.  In point of fact we are rapidly getting to
the point where die shrink works against most technology reliability.

NASA does not send modern electronics into space precisely because high energy particles can cause
significant charge displacement as the gates get so small, whereas the older technologies really did
not have that issue.  Servers use ECC precisely for the same reason, the gates are getting so small
that they have to have safeguards against errors that were previously unheard of.

So yes, I study the issues, I study the technology, I study the safeguards and I study the
requirements in a way that I really don't need to do with rotating media.  But I need the benefits
enough to make the effort worthwhile.

I used to swear by the top player and I used their product and I love the product that I bought from
them two years ago.  Today I have switched to another player because my old choice is not reliable
(due to using 28 nm chips).  I believe that long term, they will figure out how to use the 28 nm
chips but today I won't use them, and there are players who agree and do not use them (yet).

It is my job to know this stuff if I am going to try and use it, to know what I can use it for and
what I cannot.