[AccessD] Troy Hunt: Scamming the scammers – catching the virus call centre scammers red-handed

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Fri Dec 7 07:59:17 CST 2012

Yeah - I'm teaching a beginners' class right now.  I will make a point
of warning each  student about such scams.  My sister received exactly
such a call about a week ago - this is long past the time when Comantra
claims to have shut down the call centers.  The caller said he was from
Microsoft and calling to alert her to problems with her computer.  She
laughed out loud at the caller, who then went completely silent.  She
asked into the silence "Hey, what kind of scam are you trying to run?"
There was no response.  She hung up.  But, she worries that others may
not be so savvy to know that the call is absolutely a scam.  So,
education is the thing to do.

Tina Norris Fields
tinanfields at torchlake.com
231-322-2787