[AccessD] Dvorak's rant on Windows 8

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Sun Jun 10 02:55:26 CDT 2012

Hi Arthur --

You sound a bit depressing, don't give up!

In fact (if you believe MS) Win8 should run just fine on 1GB box:

Have a look "Reducing runtime memory in Windows 8"
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/10/07/reducing-runtime-memory-in-windows-8.aspx

Yes, JWC has a great hardware environment but is it a must have for every developer to be competitive these days?
I suppose it's not. For example, I'm staying currently outside St.Petersburg city, in a village and I'm using here a mere mortals DELL Inspiron 9400 with Win7 Ultimate 32bit, 3GB RAM, 300GB HDD, a GSM modem and a 850GB backup HDD connected via USB2.
That's it. And I feel rather comfortable developing .NET Framework and MS Office apps running all over the world.
I usually have three VS instances running keeping opened solutions with multiple projects as well as MS Access, MS Excel, MS Word, dozen Google Chrome tabs and some other software...
And I'm using such a "poor man" system for almost a year now - trying to get the highest ROI from hardware investment possible :)
I have other hardware but I have found I don't need it for my current customers projects. Yes, keeping a couple of displays connected to one development box would help to speed-up a bit, and I'm planning to get them connected but again, that's it: that's all a developer using MS modern development tools would need to work efficiently on a broad range of application software project types. Not all of course: I can't develop SharePoint projects on my system, nor can I develop games for WinPhone7...
But on my 32bit system I'm developing software, which runs fine on customers' 64bit systems...

Yes, I do plan to get  purchased i7-driven box this fall but just because my DELL Inspiron 9400 is getting a bit old - it's 5 years old currently...

Once again, don't give up Arthur!

Thank you.

-- Shamil

P.S. BTW, the Euro 2012 Football championship started a couple of days ago, and you're a football fun AFAIK. Did you see Denmark football team did win The Netherlands' one - first time in the last 50 years? (Congrats to Gustav! :)