[AccessD] AC2010-a pioneer with more arrows in the back...

Mark Simms marksimms at verizon.net
Fri May 11 16:13:35 CDT 2012

I was pioneering the new "Calculated Column" Feature. My client demanded it
in fact.

Looked good on the surface, but wow, the limitations are very bad.

After 4 hours of experimentation, I discovered:

Expressions "appear" to be limited to 2048 chars.

Expressions can't be modified after the column has been constructed. It must
be deleted and redefined.

I had 48 fields to add-up (I DIDN'T DESIGN THIS !!!!).

So I created some VBA to create the expression dynamically; it would have
taken forever to do by hand.

I had use Nz, but it would not accept it, so I used the alternative:
IIF(IsNull(),0,[column])+..

That was accepted, but then the expression length went over 2048 chars.

IT GETS BETTER: When you open the linked table that has the expression, you
get an error message:"expression exceeds 2048 characters".

However, the computation is CORRECT and all 48 field computations were
accepted.

Queries run fine, forms run fine.

Another head-shaker..how can this be ?

It appears that the error message is ERRONEOUS and is thrown based on an
invalid constant in MSFT's coding.

Perhaps it was an old 2007 limitation that was "lifted".

Otherwise, the calculation should have been wrong or displayed a null value.