[AccessD] Run Excel From Within Access

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sat May 26 20:08:04 CDT 2012

Last week I posted a question about how to do this. In the interim I've
worked most of it out. I can create the XLS file, and export the data to
it, but can't make the last step work. Once the file has been created and
written to, I want Excel to open and open the file too. I've tried various
syntaxes, including:

<vba>
Public Sub RunExcel(strFile As String)
    Application.Run "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft
Office\Office11\Excel.exe " & strFile
    Application.Run "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft
Office\Office11\Excel.exe " & Q(strFile)
    Application.Run "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft
Office\Office11\Excel.exe " & QQ(strFile)
End Sub

Public Function Q(str As String)
    Q = Chr(39) & str & Chr(39)
End Function

Public Function QQ(str As String)
    QQ = Chr(34) & str & Chr(34)
End Function
</vba>

(Incidentally, I included the two utility functions because they are
enormously convenient, so feel free to copy them and use them. They're good
for wrapping strings that might contain single or double quotes, for
example.)

All three calls fail with the message, the only difference being whether
the filename is wrapped in quotes or not.
     Microsoft Access can't find the procedure 'C:\Program Files
(x86)\Microsoft Office\Office11\Excel.exe
     "c:\temp\Customers.xls".'

Does anyone know how to accomplish this?
TIA,
--
Arthur
Cell: 647.710.1314

Prediction is difficult, especially of the future.
  -- Niels Bohr