[AccessD] Need for an Access programmer

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Tue Nov 27 12:57:54 CST 2012

Bill,

 I'm in the same place and I feel $70 - $80 is more realistic for
programming services from a lone consultant.

 I've been charging $70/hr now for a number of years (about the past 15) and
give a 20% discount on top of that for a consistent level of work (more then
16 hours a week in a trailing two week period).  I've been using that setup
for a long time and I'm able to say that I've never lacked for full time
work.  The clients I deal with seem to feel that it's not an un-reasonable
rate.

 I do plan to up my rate Jan 1 to $75 as I think I've fallen behind the
curve a bit.

 Some companies do charge $130 - $150/hr, but I always see those relations
as vary contentious.  Clients always feel like their getting ripped off and
are always arguing over billing.  I think if you peeled all the layers away,
you'd find their not making anywhere near as much as one would think.  So
much ends up as non-billable.

 In fact that's the way I invoiced long ago and never have a desire to
return to it.  My rate was double back then and life got far simpler when I
cut my rate in half.

 Clients got a lot happier and so did I.

FWIW,
Jim.