[AccessD] cool animation

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 23 14:15:54 CDT 2012

My youngest daughter did three years of college at one university, paid via
scholarship, then worked a years, did one more year at a new university
college and finally completed her animation degree at UBC, in three more
years. It took over seven years of university to get her full degree. Last
year she won a further education scholarship, for a 5 minute video/movie she
produced, and used it to take further mentoring through a six months
training course at Pixar Studios.

Now she works for a company that does 3D real-time animation for machinery,
mostly military hardware and works in her spare time free-lancing for a
variety of small companies who need short term specialty work.

Related: The emphasizes today is producing graphics suitable for web based
deployment accompanied with real-time streaming. That is a whole new field
of mathematics and image management. The game companies are the leaders in
this new field. Their systems uses high end image compression, asynchronies
streaming, background/parallel processing, intelligent caching,
filters/overlays, with sparse-image-cells (only the parts of the screen that
are current animated are being transferred) and they are even developing AI
systems to anticipate user responses. It is interesting to see just how fast
mixed quality images can be transferred, through small to large band-width
and produce a good user experience. Also learned that Hadoop is not just for
distributive computing to support Map Reduce databases but to manage
thousands of online users in complex interactive game scenarios. This is
also one the reason browser makers have been working so hard to make their
browser's faster, smaller and run on every PC, tablet and Smartphone.

I took in a couple of seminars, at the professional animators convention,
over in Vancouver, a couple of months ago, with my daughters and that is why
I am such an expert....not; ;-) but for any young person looking for a
high-end career...there are so many fields of expertise needed in consumer
data and graphics distribution and production.

Jim