[AccessD] Copy recurring records

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Sep 8 12:44:59 CDT 2012

I have a program to assist in creating passes to check inmates out for meetings, church etc.

I have set up an easy way to copy a pass manually but now I have to remember to do the copy, go in
and select a pass and press the button to copy it, once for each pass I want to copy.

I am looking at how to implement "recurring" passes, i.e. checking the same inmate out every week,
or the same day once per month i.e. every Tuesday night, every Friday night, the second Monday night
of the month etc.

I'm just wondering if anyone has done this kind of thing and if so what issues you have run into.

The inmates cannot be checked out more than 3 times a week so I do not need to handle "daily" (every
day) occurrences and I think annual is not worth bothering with, though eventually someone might
want to use it to check guys out for their birthday or something.

In general though I think that a field in the pass table to place a "W" (weekly) or "M" (Monthly) is
good enough.  After that Weekly is easy, just add 7 to the pass date and copy.  On the face of it,
monthly could get ugly.  The pass needs to be day of week specific, i.e. it is always to go to a
meeting on a specific day of the week, thus if it is the last Monday this month and I want to copy
the pass to next month (and the month after etc), what is the algorithm for figuring out the date to
place in the pass date field?  In particular what happens if the pass to copy is in the last few
days of a 31 day month, the 5th week of January for example and I want to copy that to February.
The position in the calender for the days of the week rotate around and it just seems to get messy.

Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it