[AccessD] OT: iPhone/iPad development on an MS Windows PC - no way?

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Fri Sep 14 12:29:10 CDT 2012

Hi Doug --

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I'm planning to purchase a MacBook Pro 17'', i7 (Ivy Bridge), 16(?)GB - anybody here have got something like that already?
Yes, that may sound as "burning money" but I need such a "toy" for both iPhone/iPad and MS Windows/Phone/Tablet + Visual Studio 2010/2012 + MS Office Pro + ... development and I wanted to be mobile, I mean being able to develop software using the same laptop/system at home/office, or in my village home, or on the road :), etc. and I'm partially keeping such a development practice using my current 5 years old DELL Inspiron 9400 (of course no way for iPhone/iPad development on it)  - so  I'm expecting that investing in a MacBook Pro 17", i7,... should pay back well in a coming 5 years period...

...and five years later Visual Studio and MS Office Pro and iPhone/iPad ASK/development tools... should be affordable to run on a "cloud" I guess so then a simple netbook with a large external display or just a Windows Phone with such an external display/projector + external keyboard would be "all a developer would need to be effective..." :)

Thank you.

-- Shamil

Fri, 14 Sep 2012 09:43:40 -0700 от Doug Steele <dbdoug at gmail.com>:

>Hi Shamil:

You can always use Bootcamp which effectively runs Windows directly on a

Mac.

I've got a fairly new Macbook Pro - 2.3ghz I5, 8gb ram.  I just did some

quick timing tests opening an A2003 database and running a big report.  I

also did the same on my older 2.66ghz Core2 Duo 4gb Windows 7 32bit box.

I just counted off the time manually, so this is pretty rough. But

repeatedly running the same report on Bootcamp (32 bit Windows 7), in

Parallels (64 bit Windows 7) and on the Windows machine all seemed to take

the same time - about 12 seconds on all versions.

Psychologically at least, my experience with using all 3 approaches is that

I can't tell the difference.

Doug