[AccessD] HTML5 mobile-friendly web sites vs. native mobile apps - Was:Re: Bootcamp or Paralells - was RE: OT: iPhone/iPaddevelopment on an MS Windows PC - noway?

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Sep 17 18:17:38 CDT 2012

Hi Shamil:

HTML 5 is not some high speed development engine, it is more like VB or VBA
and it is built just for FE presentations.

If you interested in super high performance a programmer should start
looking at Java, at the least and most likely C or C++. HTML 5 is just like
MS Access which is a simplified database presentation manager...if the
client wants super high performance then they have to be willing to anti-up
and have a dedicated programmer (or two, or three) on the pay-roll.

It is all a matter of cost versus required performance.

That said, MS Access is perfectly acceptable for small to medium databases.
It speed of development is impossible to match if you plan to "roll your
own". HTML 5 is the same thing. OTOH, the performance that a good programmer
can get of Access or even HTML 5 is quite remarkable. In addition, there are
so many tools, code samples and add-ins out there for MS Access and HTML 5
that a good hacker can make a client smile in less than a week.

Browsers are also increasing their speed exponentially. If you haven't seen
it before, here is a demo of a first-person shooter game developed on the
latest version of FF using HTML 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIYmxPdtsl4&feature=player_embedded

Then there is the enhanced V8 engine from Chrome. The engine is so fast that
you can actually build an event driven multi-user webserver BE from it and
its performance matches or surpasses anything out there. Check out Node.js
which will allow a JavaScript writer to extend their skill sets right to the
BE.

http://nodejs.org/

There are a number of tutorials on the subject on how to connect to various
databases and so on.

In summary, a form in Access and HTML 5 can be built in minutes...lets see
someone build the same form, with the same function and appearance, in
native code, in minutes.

Jim