[AccessD] HTML5 mobile-friendly web sites vs. native mobile apps - Was:Re: Bootcamp or Paralells - was RE: OT: iPhone/iPaddevelopment on an MS Windows PC - noway?

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Tue Sep 18 13:26:05 CDT 2012

Hi Jim --

<<<
In summary, a form in Access and HTML 5 can be built in minutes...

Yes, I know. (Learning here KnockoutJS binding, JavaScript, jQuery, ...)

<<<
lets see someone build the same form, with the same function and appearance, in
native code, in minutes.

For WinPhone that "native code" will be XAML and SilverLight - no more work than with Access or HTML5.
For iPhone and Android - there should be something similar - I mean high level UI design tools...

The point is not speed of execution of applications.
The point is not the speed of UI development.
The point is  -> quoting Marc Zuckerberg:

"Our Biggest Mistake Was Betting Too Much On HTML5"

see: http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/11/mark-zuckerberg-our-biggest-mistake-with-mobile-was-betting-too-much-on-html5/

and

"Over the next 3-5 years the question that's on everyone's mind is going to be how well we do with mobile"

see: http://mashable.com/2012/09/11/mark-zuckerberg-post-ipo-interview/

Thank you.

-- Shamil

Mon, 17 Sep 2012 16:17:38 -0700 от "Jim Lawrence" <accessd at shaw.ca>:
>Hi Shamil:

HTML 5 is not some high speed development engine, it is more like VB or VBA

and it is built just for FE presentations.

If you interested in super high performance a programmer should start

looking at Java, at the least and most likely C or C++. HTML 5 is just like

MS Access which is a simplified database presentation manager...if the

client wants super high performance then they have to be willing to anti-up

and have a dedicated programmer (or two, or three) on the pay-roll.

It is all a matter of cost versus required performance.

That said, MS Access is perfectly acceptable for small to medium databases.

It speed of development is impossible to match if you plan to "roll your

own". HTML 5 is the same thing. OTOH, the performance that a good programmer

can get of Access or even HTML 5 is quite remarkable. In addition, there are

so many tools, code samples and add-ins out there for MS Access and HTML 5

that a good hacker can make a client smile in less than a week.