[AccessD] WPF Development

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Fri Sep 21 02:25:16 CDT 2012

Hi Robert and Dan --

<<<
I use WPF, EF, Linq, and SQL Server.

Good set.

Historically I have started to develop .NET apps using WinForms  and I'm still  mainly using them but if I'd have had to start today I'd definitely used WPF (and SilverLight).

I have developed one rather advanced WPF project and I have participated in another one, even more advanced - WPF surely "beats" WinForms and using current Visual Studio design tools designing WPF UI isn't an issue as it was several years ago.

IMO the key for WPF UI development (as well as for WinForms) - is to make it designed and  assembled from small blocks - custom UserControls - it takes some time to adapt but when one gets fluent with that development technique then they can develop very elaborated UIs...

My must read WPF/Silverlight book-set is:

1. Pro WPF and Silverlight MVVM: Effective Application Development with Model-View-ViewModel,  ISBN: 1430231629, Apress, 2010
"WPF and Silverlight are unlike any other user interface (UI) technologies. They have been built to a new paradigm that—if harnessed correctly—can yield unprecedented power and performance.
This book shows you how to control that power to produce clean, testable, maintainable code.
It is now recognized that any non-trivial WPF or Silverlight application needs be designed around the Model-View-ViewModel (MVVM) design pattern in order to unlock the technology's full data-binding potential.
However, the knowledge of how to do this is missing from a large part of the development community—even amongst those who work with WPF and Silverlight on a daily basis.
Too often there is a reliance on programmatic interaction between controls and not enough trust in the technologies' data-binding capabilities.
This leads to a clouding of design values and an inevitable loss of performance, scalability, and maintainability throughout the application.
Pro WPF and Silverlight MVVM will show you how to arrange your application so that it can grow as much as required in any direction without danger of collapse."
2. Foundation Expression Blend 2: Building Applications in WPF and Silverlight, ISBN: 1590599764, Friends of Ed, 2008
3. Practical WPF Graphics Programming, ISBN:0979372518, UniCAD, 2007

4. Applications = Code + Markup: A Guide to the Microsoft Windows Presentation Foundation, ISBN: 0735619573, Microsoft Press, 2006
----

Please note also that having WPF/XAML development experience is a shortest way to WinRT UI development:

WinRT and WPF in Windows 8
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7697414/winrt-and-wpf-in-windows-8

Thank you.

-- Shamil
 Thu, 20 Sep 2012 15:47:37 -0500 от Robert Stewart <rls at WeBeDb.com>:

>Absolutely disagree.  Haliburton and some other major corps here in the Houston

area are all going to it to replace Win Form

apps.  If you look deeper into it, you

will see the difference in the power and the ability of the user interface.

Personally, WPF will beat WinForms hands down.

As for learning it.  There is an excellent book

that will take you into the depths of it,

At 06:52 PM 9/19/2012, you wrote:

>Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 15:07:17 -0500
>
>From: "Dan Waters" <df.waters at comcast.net>
>
>To: "'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'"
>
>         <accessd at databaseadvisors.com>
>
>Subject: Re: [AccessD] WPF Development (was: HTML5 mobile-friendly web
>
>         sites   vs. native)

>Hi Robert,
>

>I have just started developing with WinForms / LinQ to SQL / SQL Server.  I
>
>bought a book and read about WPF and it seemed like the wrong mechanism for
>
>straightforward internal business applications.  Would you agree/disagree?
>
>How did you go about learning WPF?
>

>Thanks!
>
>Dan

Robert L. Stewart

Any fool can write code that a computer can

understand. Good programmers write code that

humans can understand. --Martin Fowler