[AccessD] WPF Development

Robert Stewart rls at WeBeDb.com
Fri Sep 21 09:12:10 CDT 2012

Shamil,

Thank you for the other book recommendations.
I went out a got the first one on your list. I have
been wanting a good one on MVVM.  It is something
that I need to get up to speed on.

BTW, my wife is from Russia, Yoshkar-Ola.
She has cousins that live in St. Petersburg.

At 02:25 AM 9/21/2012, you wrote:
>Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 11:25:16 +0400
>From: Salakhetdinov Shamil <mcp2004 at mail.ru>
>To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
>         <accessd at databaseadvisors.com>
>Subject: Re: [AccessD] WPF Development
>
>Hi Robert and Dan --
>
><<<
>I use WPF, EF, Linq, and SQL Server.
> >>>
>Good set.
>
>Historically I have started to develop .NET apps using WinForms ?and
>I'm still ?mainly using them but if I'd have had to start today I'd
>definitely used WPF (and SilverLight).
>
>I have developed one rather advanced WPF project and I have
>participated in another one, even more advanced - WPF surely "beats"
>WinForms and using current Visual Studio design tools designing WPF
>UI isn't an issue as it was several years ago.
>
>IMO the key for WPF UI development (as well as for WinForms) - is to
>make it designed and ?assembled from small blocks - custom
>UserControls - it takes some time to adapt but when one gets fluent
>with that development technique then they can develop very elaborated UIs...
>
>My must read WPF/Silverlight book-set is:
>
>1.?Pro WPF and Silverlight MVVM: Effective Application Development
>with Model-View-ViewModel, ?ISBN: 1430231629, Apress, 2010
>"WPF and Silverlight are unlike any other user interface (UI)
>technologies. They have been built to a new paradigm that?if
>harnessed correctly?can yield unprecedented power and performance.
>This book shows you how to control that power to produce clean,
>testable, maintainable code.
>It is now recognized that any non-trivial WPF or Silverlight
>application needs be designed around the Model-View-ViewModel (MVVM)
>design pattern in order to unlock the technology's full data-binding potential.
>However, the knowledge of how to do this is missing from a large
>part of the development community?even amongst those who work with
>WPF and Silverlight on a daily basis.
>Too often there is a reliance on programmatic interaction between
>controls and not enough trust in the technologies' data-binding capabilities.
>This leads to a clouding of design values and an inevitable loss of
>performance, scalability, and maintainability throughout the application.
>Pro WPF and Silverlight MVVM will show you how to arrange your
>application so that it can grow as much as required in any direction
>without danger of collapse."
>2. Foundation Expression Blend 2: Building Applications in WPF and
>Silverlight, ISBN: 1590599764, Friends of Ed, 2008
>3. Practical WPF Graphics Programming, ISBN:0979372518, UniCAD, 2007
>
>4. Applications = Code + Markup: A Guide to the Microsoft Windows
>Presentation Foundation, ISBN:?0735619573,?Microsoft Press,?2006?
>----
>
>Please note also that having WPF/XAML development experience is a
>shortest way to WinRT UI development:
>
>WinRT and WPF in Windows 8
>http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7697414/winrt-and-wpf-in-windows-8

> [...]

Robert L. Stewart

Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good
programmers write code that humans can understand. --Martin Fowler

www.WeBeDb.com
www.DBGUIDesign.com
www.RLStewartPhotography.com