[AccessD] FW: Ctrl Break

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Sat Sep 22 10:25:53 CDT 2012

Rocky,

  For all those questions, there's actually a nice article I found when I
checked into what the entry did (and it was on EE of all places<g>):

http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Windows/A_215
5-Keyboard-Remapping-CAPSLOCK-to-Ctrl-and-Beyond.html

 I recently bought a new Dell over the summer and the break key wasn't on
the keyboard.  Checking on-line, I see it's now a common problem.  As many
have noted, it's just not used much anymore.

 I found a post in the Dell forums referencing the registry hack, which I
checked out through the EE article (I always want to make sure I understand
any registry change and what it's doing before I use it).  That's where I
also found the program reference, but I'd rather not install software if I
don't have to, so I have not tried it and used the registry hack instead.

 Basically, windows has a set of "virtual keys" representing all the various
function and keystrokes, which hardware and BIOS mfg's map to.  This
registry change affects that mapping.

 This is happening at a very low level and if you do screw it up, you can
end up making a keystroke unavailable.  If it happens to be a critical one,
then you'd need to use a second computer to do a remote registry change.

 The one posted however does work and I double checked what it's doing.

 The article was well worth a read because it also gets into those special
function/media keys that kick off programs on your PC and how that's
accomplished.

<<So I went to Regedit and when I drill down to Keyboard Layout I find two
more sub-folders - DosKeybCodes and DosKeybIDs. Ignore those?  >>

  Yes.

 Easiest is to do the change via file.  Create a new text file on your
desktop (right click, new, text document) and call it
"mapctrlbreaktoF10.reg"

Now edit it and paste in:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
"Scancode
Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,46,e0,44,00,00,00,00,00

and save.  Double click and you'll be asked if it's OK to import.  Click OK
and then reboot.  You should now find that F10 gives you a break.

A small caution on doing the above; you need to check for that registry key
before you do the above because doing the above will wipe out anything
already there.  This key should not exist by default.

 By the way, if you want to delete the mapping, just delete the key.

Jim.