[AccessD] Adding Bar Coding and Scanners to an Access Application

Brad Marks BradM at blackforestltd.com
Thu Feb 14 13:27:56 CST 2013

All,

In order to save time and improve accuracy, our Vice President of
Operations would like for me to look into the possibility of using bar
codes to collect "labor" information from the factory floor.  This is
basically to record the number of parts that are completed by a
work-center.  To do this, we would like to use a scanner to read the
"Job Number" from an Access report (Factory Floor "Traveler").

I have some experience with bar coding back in the 1970s in an IBM
mainframe environment, in a prior life, on a different planet  :-)

I have no experience with bar coding in the Microsoft Access realm.

If I have an Access report that has a key (such as "A12345") how can I
add a bar code to the report for this piece of information?

If I am able to print a bar code for such a piece of information on a
report, what is needed in order to use a scanner to "input" this key
into an Access application or other Windows-based application?

Thanks,
Brad