[AccessD] Citrix

Dan Waters df.waters at comcast.net
Thu Jan 24 08:42:52 CST 2013

Hi John,

One of my customers has my Access system on their Citrix server.  Citrix is
an application that is installed on a server.  It is designed to allow users
to run some or all their software on the server, while they are physically
somewhere else.  This turns their desktop PC into just a terminal for the
applications the use via Citrix.

In my customer's case, the purpose of Citrix is to allow users who are not
connected to the LAN at their headquarters in Minneapolis to run my system
at a reasonable level of performance.  (As we all know, Access on a WAN
doesn't work.)  It works pretty well, with users at many locations in the
US, Mexico, and also Asia.  Also, when people are away from work with their
laptop, they can log into the company network with a VPN, then log into
Citrix, and then log into my system - and still get reasonable performance.

However, all the people who connect to the LAN log into my Access system
directly using separate FE's on their PC's - it's noticeable faster than
logging into Citrix.

Companies might also use a Citrix server for all PC's on their LAN so that
everyone's PC is essentially a terminal.  This can give the IT department a
high degree of control over app versions, preventing the installation of
personal apps, etc.

But why you would be given a PC which is actually a server with Citrix on it
for your personal use is beyond what I know.  I'd say take some of those
developers out to lunch and find out what's really going on!

Good Luck!
Dan