[AccessD] VBA Field Names - Curiosity Question

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 12:57:45 CDT 2013

You're quite right and I shall try to convert some of my code into classes
rather than static functions. I'll reply in a day with how it went. Now
that I'm 65 and semi-retired, I'll have to resurrect some old code to
verify your thesis, but even at age 65 I am willing to learn. As my best
friend has frequently said. the best defense against Alzheimer's is to
continue thinking. So now that I am retired, I am reading the two greatest
books about chess written in the 20th century. It takes me about a week per
chapter, but I have noticed dramatic improvements in my local game, in a
park nearby, lots of Russians and Czechs and Germans and Dutch -- and
that's why I love my city Toronto. It's not about chess, it's not about
language or culture. In this city we deal with 190+ languages in our public
schools. That is one take on us. Another is that I could visit a restaurant
every night of the year and hit a different ethnicity. I just visited an
Afgani restaurant for the first time, and it was wonderful. Two blocks away
is a real Mexican restaurant (as opposed to Tex-Mex, which is ok but not
authentic. My memory is failing me right now, but I'm recalling a baked fish

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Charlotte Foust
<charlotte.foust at gmail.com>wrote:

> Arthur,
>
> Why do you find classes more complicated than static functions?  You could
> do precisely the same thing with a class, either an individual class for
> the value or a globals class to hold all the values, or both.
>
> Charlotte
>

> On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Arthur Fuller <fuller.artful at gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > I hate globals and prefer static functions (also known as get/set
> > functions). They are way superior to global vars. I wrote about this
> (maybe
> > TechRepublic, can't recall, doesn't matter, and will be happy to supply
> > some example code upon request. Another approach is to create classes,
> > which IMO is too complex, but I'm flexible on this topic.I like static
> > functions because they are compact and consist of only few lines of code;
> > of course they do not work when passed to a SQL back end, but within
> Access
> > they are wonderful. So my final recommendation is this: if the BE is
> > Access, static functions are wonderful; If the BE is something else, say
> > MuSQL or MS-SqlServer or Oracle, then static functions should be avoided.

Arthur
Cell: 647.710.1314

Prediction is difficult, especially of the future.
  -- Niels Bohr