[AccessD] Crap 2

John Clark John.Clark at niagaracounty.com
Wed Jul 10 09:11:28 CDT 2013

"...in the end if your program is 99% bullet prove then again you have done your job."

Ah, but the point of "in the end" might not be that black & white!

I just now returned to my desk, after fixing a program that someone in our accounting dept wrote and I didn't even know existed. Actually, I wrote a program for them that does pretty much the same thing, but for some reason she did one of her own...I found out they sent her to a class too, and training for us in IT is pretty much nonexistent and we're pretty much on our own there...AccessD and a few books were my teacher back around 13-14 yrs ago.

My point is this...this isn't the first time this has happened, and in the past these programs do what they need to now, but down the road...sometimes a few years later...problems often arise. Much of the time it is because of something they did that was not really correct...or at least in the environment we are in.

So, this program did do exactly what they needed upon her completion.  And, if that was considered "in the end" then all was good. But, as we now see, because she was not a qualified programmer, there were things about our environment that she could not account for, and I was called in to fix her program. While there I noticed that she has a very weird configuration. She took MY old tables w/data and used that as a back-end...actually smart for someone of that level. BUT, that is where the whole FE/BE idea derailed. Her "front-end" program is on a common network drive and shared among 3-4 users...kinda defeats the whole thing eh?!

Whenever I see this I cringe. Somewhere down the road, they're usually calling me w/issues...anywhere from, "my data is corrupted," to "we can no longer run it at the same time," to "it is running really slow."

So, I submit to you that "in the end" is a very open-ended term.

Now I have to go work on a program that was written years ago, by an out-sourced programmer several years ago, and it is now very much a problem. He wrote it in A97, and now that we are running Win 7 PCs, running Access 10, and migrating to an AD network, it isn't working so well. Not much of this was his worry, I understand...BUT...he did not listen when I told him previously that, "We do NOT use Windows workgroup security here" and THAT is what is now mucking up the works and making it hard for me to rectify things.

We have network security and that is good enough in our environment. Now I need to get this program updated, which is looking just about impossible to do. I will NOT call this guy back in...he shouldn't have been here to begin with. I'll do it on my own time if I have to.

Notice: This electronic transmission is intended for the sole use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, privileged or otherwise legally protected information. If you are not the intended recipient, or if you believe you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, copying, distribution, or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information, is strictly prohibited. Niagara County is not responsible for the content of any external hyperlink referenced in this email or any email.
IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS TRANSMISSION IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY THE SENDER IMMEDIATELY BY EMAIL AND DELETE THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE ALONG WITH ANY PAPER OR ELECTRONIC COPIES.
Thank you for your cooperation.