[AccessD] New Approach

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Mon Mar 4 14:29:58 CST 2013

Hi Jim,

Just to add to your comment about Ubuntu, there are some slight differences between desktop and server. The most obvious one is thar Ubuntu server does not install with a GUI by default and this is a good thing. In my opinion and that of many in the industry, a GUI is a waste of system resources, as Linux can be administrated perfectly fine via the command line (bash and ssh) and you have less software installed this less of a surface for security vulnerabilities. For those reasons and others, I'd say it is the superior choice for a server administrator, but that is sometimes a hard sell for someone more familiar with using Microsoft server operating systems, so you can still install a GUI if that is your preference.

Another difference is that the kernel for Ubuntu server is a little different. It's been optimised and tweaked more for a server environment and better performance in that respect. Which is nice.

The last notable difference is also the software packages available and the package repositories. They are not quite the same as the server version is geared more for stable software releases, while desktop is a bit more bleeding edge. Ubuntu also provides you with some services that you don't really get on the desktop version, such as Landscape, other cloud services and etc.

I run an Ubuntu server (still on 11.04 though, need to upgrade one of these days), but my experience so far in the last 2 or so years has been great. I recommend it if you want a good server OS and the other proper Linux server distros like CentOS and Debian are a bit intimidating.

- Hans