[AccessD] set the DefaultPicture of an unbound image control to an attachment in a recordset field?

William Benson (VBACreations.Com) vbacreations at gmail.com
Thu May 30 20:58:19 CDT 2013

I am wanting to have the same Header fields and image appear on every form
in my database. The query which populates these items has SQL:

SQL = ""
SQL = SQL & " SELECT "
SQL = SQL & " First([Build Date]) AS AppBuildDate,"
SQL = SQL & " First(ApplicationImage.FileData) As AppImage"
SQL = SQL & " FROM 9997_DevelopmentVersion  as Tbl"
SQL = SQL & " WHERE "
SQL = SQL & " [Build Date]=(Select Max([Build Date]) from
9997_DevelopmentVersion);"

I have also tried substituting ApplicationImage for
ApplicationImage.FileData

So far I have been unable to set an image control's defaultpicture property
to a RECORDSET FIELD from a recordset created with that SQL statement.

Can someone help with the syntax to set the DefaultPicture of an unbound
image control to an attachment identified by a field in a recordset
described above?

I have been having to resort to saving the attachment to disk, and assigning
it to the defaultpicture property, then killing the file:

Const SOME_PATH = "c:\username\temp\x.ico"

Set d = CurrentDb

SQL = ""
SQL = SQL & " SELECT "
SQL = SQL & " First([Build Date]) AS AppBuildDate,"
SQL = SQL & " First(ApplicationImage) As AppImage"
SQL = SQL & " FROM 9997_DevelopmentVersion  as Tbl"
SQL = SQL & " WHERE "
SQL = SQL & " [Build Date]=(Select Max([Build Date]) from
9997_DevelopmentVersion);"

Set r = d.OpenRecordset(SQL)

Set rsPic = r.Fields("AppImage").Value
If Not rsPic.EOF Then
    On Error Resume Next
    Kill SOME_PATH
    On Error GoTo 0
    rsPic.Fields("FileData").SaveToFile SOME_PATH
End If

imgApplicationIcon.DefaultPicture = SOME_PATH

On Error Resume Next
Kill SOME_PATH
On Error GoTo 0