[AccessD] Running Access Reports While Logged Off - Mapping Problems

Brad Marks BradM at blackforestltd.com
Tue Oct 22 10:01:04 CDT 2013

All,

I have a number of Access reports that pull data from a purchased
product Firebird Database via ODBC.
These reports have worked nicely for several months running on a local
PC.

I would now like to move the execution of these report jobs to an
application server.

Currently when these reports are run on the local PC (always logged on)
I employ a drive mapping to map the "Y" Drive to a server as shown here
-

Manufacturing on 'BLKFST10' (Y)

This works nicely, when the reports are run on the local PC because I am
always logged on to this PC.

When I started to move these report jobs to an application server, I
thought that I could simply use "UNCs" and change all references to the
"Y" drive to  \\BLKFST10\Manufacturing

I believe that this is needed, because the report jobs will be run in a
"logged off" mode and therefore drive mappings will not be available.

The catch is that when I try to change the Firebird ODBC Database Path
to use a UNC, it can no longer successfully connect to the database.  It
appears that this ODBC connection will not support UNCs.

Any ideas/insights would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad