[AccessD] Ramblings of a nutcase

John W Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 13:22:39 CST 2014

To be honest Charlotte, I don't understand.  I played and worked and played and worked and never
found a (native) start menu and task bar.  I did download third party "kinda sorta" start menu /
task bars but they did not contain the functionality of the Windows start menu and task bar. And
every time I did "expected to work" things I would get rudely pushed back into the "modern"
display.  Maybe had I been able to just permanently disable that "modern" display things would have
been better, but alas.

I don't (or rarely) use the Windows 7 desktop.  To me it looks strikingly like the Metro thing, a
ton of icons (at least they are separated)  which is just confusing.  My son's desktop is FILLED
with stuff and I get overwhelmed looking at it.  Likewise I get overwhelmed looking at Metro.
Psychologists have figured out that different people had different learning styles.  Some can learn
from visual stuff, others learn best from audio stuff others learn best from ...  Windows impressed
me as "Everybody has to use this one style because we say so".  I tried for two months.  I've come
from "Boot zapple basic from a cassette" through CPM., DOS, through all the versions of Windows.  I
am not a technophobe. Windows 8 was a jarring, frustrating and damned irritating experience.

So in the end, I guess I just never stumbled across whatever I had to stumble across to get back to
a real Windows 7 like experience.  And you can believe me I googled till my eyes were blue trying to
get back my Windows 7 experience.  I kinda sorta, 1/2 the time, made it look something like (not
really) Windows 7. Never enough to be able to just get on and get my work done.  I ended up using my
4 year old Dell laptop when I had to work, and my brand new 10 times as powerful (and pretty
expensive) laptop as a glorified tablet.

Another part of my issue I think is that I just have no interest in "Social", nor do I need or want
a weather app sitting in my face constantly updating.  If you don't use Facebook, or twitter or any
of the rest of that stuff, then...

I will say that my daughter LOVED it though.  She is intellectually disabled but she knows her touch
screen.

John W. Colby

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it