[AccessD] Ramblings of a nutcase

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 14:05:27 CST 2014

IMHO, you folks are all pussies and refuse to see what's great about
Windows 8. With the proviso that you download and install ClassicShell
(google it). This free tool goes a long way toward making Windows 8
palatable for old-timers. In fact it goes further than that; it's smarter
and better than the old classic start menu.

Even without this wonderful tool, there are a few key things you can do to
smarten up your startup tile UI: most notably, you can drag the tiles into
an arrangement of your choice, and also create groups of tiles containing
associated programs (i.e. a Media group, a SQL group, etc. And most
significantly, you can drag your most frequently-visited programs to the
top left of the tile groups. In my tile setup, the first tile is Desktop. I
have two monitors and the desktop opens on the large monitor. I also make
extensive use of the QuickLaunch bar, and the programs soon learn which
monitor they should load on.

That custom setup accomplished, you are now in a position to see some of
the startup, performance and memory management advantages of Windows 8.1. I
can only say that I'd never consider going back to Windows 7. I still have
a copy of it, but it's on a separate box entirely, and I find myself using
that box less and less -- just for large downloads and for running Ubuntu
Linux.

I have one more customization of the Win 8.1 laptop planned. I recently
read a net piece on how to hook up two external monitors to a laptop.
That's next. I'll have three monitors, two external and the laptop monitor.
That will be very cool.

My $0.02.

Arthur