[AccessD] Windows 8

John W Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 13:20:43 CST 2014

 >OK, I learned a lot from that vid and I'm convinced - for me W8 is totally useless. None of my
gestures have any effect on my machines.

"Flipping off" a machine definitely does not work!  ;)  OTOH a hammer seems to work.

 >With some effort and learning curve I can enjoy all the advantages of W7.

Well... in a word ... NO.

Windows 8 did away with Windows.  We expect that the next version of the operating system will be
called Panes 9.  Or to the curmudgeonly  masses, PAINS 9.  ;)

Panes of course are lobotomized windows.  They MUST run the full height of the display.  They have
no controls related to minimizing, or adjusting the vertical size. In 8.0 they snapped to a fixed
(by MS?) size if you tried to have more than one.

So with Windows (Panes) 8, you were allowed TWO panes.  The horizontal sizes appeared to be fixed,
i.e. yes you could have them, but they would be THIS EXACT WIDTH.  Which led to a tall narrow pane
and whatever was left of the screen.  Why this is a good idea I will leave to the Fanbois to explain.

With Windows (Panes) 8.1, they loosened up a bit and allowed more panes.  Home many more you ask?
Well... what is the resolution of your monitor?  It seems that the number of horizontal pixels
determines the number you can have.  I will let a fanboi jump into this to explain how it works,
since I decided if I can't have Windows I am outa here.  But from what I remember, the higher the
(horizontal) resolution the larger the number of (full height) panes you could have.  Why any of
this is superior to actual Windows (on a desktop) I will leave to the Windows 8 Fanbois to explain.
I assume it has to do with making your dual monitor desktop look and act like a windows phone.
Hmmmmm.....  (this wasn't MY idea!!!)

Understand that I left the Windows (Panes / Pains) 8 scene about 30 minutes after downloading 8.1
and discovered that it seemed to suck as bad as the 8.0 version.

I have to tell you that it was a scary moment taking my 1000 dollar brand new laptop and doing a
Windows 7 install on it.  HP had told me essentially that they did not support Windows 7 on my new
laptop, and that I was on my own.  After the install it took probably a day of researching chipset
drivers and downloading them to get all of the objects under device manager functioning.  But it
worked.  I even have touch enabled.  I then swapped out the shitty 5400 RPM notebook disk with a
Samsung EVO 500gb drive and Wowza!!!  A quad core Intel I7 laptop with 8 gigs RAM, a moderately
powerful video, and SSD running Windows 7.

YES!!!

Back to my mud hole, where I get actual work done.

John W. Colby

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it