[AccessD] Windows 8

Darryl Collins darryl at whittleconsulting.com.au
Tue Mar 4 22:07:06 CST 2014

Yeah,  It puts the Mac (OS X PC at least) market into perspective that is for sure.  I would also guess that a the W8 numbers are made up of some early adopters and testers, but mainly folks who just buy from the Shop when their old PC dies and meekly accept whatever OS it comes with.  It is clear there is little enthusiasm for W8.x from majority of the PC customers.  I mean, even Vista has managed 3.1% share and that is a widely unloved OS.  Not that far behind W8.1 on 4.3%.   I would really love to see Enterprise/Business vs consumer in here.  I would bet that the W8 installs are widely biased towards the consumer market.

I would also suspect that much of the W8.1 number is cannibalising the W8.0 percentage, given it is a free update and does offer a better experience that W8.  Even so - I am surprised that those number are not reversed, more folks on 8.1 than 8.0.  To me, that adds support to my "mum and dads" theory on W8 user base.  These folks are large not tech savvy, what other explanation can there be to have a higher W8 vs W8.1 percentage?